- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 -4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup chia
- 1/2 cup oats
- Place yeast, maple syrup/honey, salt and warm water in a mixing bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes. You should see small bubbles start to form and the yeast start to foam or grow.
- Add remaining ingredients into the bowl and knead or mix with a stand mixer and dough hook. Continue to knead or mix for another 5-7 minutes. The dough should start to pull away from the edge of the bowl and become less sticky. If the dough is still fairly sticky add 1/4 cup more flour to see if that helps.
- Once dough is no longer sticky form into either a loaf pan or baguette pan and let sit in a warm draft free spot for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place dough in oven for 25-30 minutes. The crust should have a slight golden brown colour and if you tap or knock on the bread it should sound hollow.
Makes 1 loaf (if you are wanting to make sandwich bread I would suggest doubling the recipe and using a large pullman loaf pan)